A journey along Main Street

Main Street runs from Ashby Road at the top, to London Road at the bottom. It has been home to many of the village's houses, shops, pubs and churches over the years.

We start at the top of Main Street at the Police House, looking onto the junction with Ashby Road.

Notice the former cells facing the left fork as you pass by!

 

We now turn around to look down Main Street, from just past the Police House. This postcard probably dates from around the 1930's.  

Note the people who have turned out to be in the picture!

 

A similar scene in 2015, but starting nearer Ashby Road, with 188 Main Street on the left.

This was originally called the Dandees. It was home to Dr Robinson, the village doctor. The surgery was a large wooden hut in the garden. Around 1925 he bought the second car in the village, a Morris Cowley!

Note the newer bungalows on the right that have replaced the houses in the earlier picture.

 

This (1940's?) view looks up back up Main Street towards Ashby Road, with the horse drawn cart outside the Red Lion pub, now the Fusion Indian restaurant. The "crown" on the roof was the air raid siren in the second World War. The "Institute" (started in 1920) is just inside the photo, in the bottom right hand corner.

The Red Lion was originally in the building next door (now the day spa), which was built in 1760 by Benjamin and H. Read.

 

A similar scene to the above and below pictures taken in 2015, the former Red Lion is immediately recognisable, but perhaps not too much else.

However, the day spa is in fact those same buildings. The door nearest the Red Lion has been bricked up, the front wall rendered in white and the ground floor windows replaced.

The 1760 date stone is sadly hidden behind the studio sign.

 

Here is a close-up 1950's picture of the Red Lion and the Post Office.

The Red Lion sold ales from the Offilers Brewery in Derbyshire.

The Post Office was run by A. Reid, who was also a stationer and tobacconist. Kodak films were sold and developed. Before becoming the Post Office, the building had been a greengrocer's shop.

 
 

The next, much earlier, photo below shows the rectory (now the old rectory). It was built in 1770, probably as a Master Hosier's house with the workshop to the side. It was then used as a school, before becoming the rectory in 1847 until replaced by a new building in 1960. It is very similar to the Master Hosier's House on Darker Street in Leicester.

The Congregational Church sits behind. Built in 1842 as the Bourne Methodist Chapel, it later became the Primitive Methodist Chapel and finally in 1963 the Congregational Church when the 'Prims' moved to join the Wesleyan Methodists down the road. Note that the doorway is in its original position, where the noticeboard is now.

The Institute (1920) has not yet been built.

 
This picture shows a similar view, some years later - 1950's or 1960's. 

The Institute is just visible as the road bends out of site. The front of the old rectory and the junction with The Nook are obscured from view, where the car is.

A telegraph pole has appeared, and the path and road are made up.
 

This 2015 picture hasn't changed too much, although no-one turned out for the camera!

The wall around the old vicarage has been replaced and windows added facing Main Street.

The Institute is visible at the far end of the photo.

 

This next photo from circa the 1950's starts at the post office (which has moved down the road), looking back up Main Street. The former George Inn can be seen at the end of the row of cottages, which is now the front of the new Co-op. The Miners' Welfare Institute is the last building visible in the distance.

Some of these cottages were demolished to make way for Neville Drive.

 
This much earlier postcard also starts at the Post Office, but this time looks down Main Street, with three people posing for the camera. The Trinity Methodist Church (built in 1894 as the Wesleyan Methodist) can be seen in the distance, opposite the turning for The Green. Note the absence of telegraph poles and the cobbled pavement, compared to the later picture above.

The wall is now where Neville Drive meets Main Street.
 
The same view in the snow, but probably 30 to 40 years later.

This picture seems to date from soon after the Second World War, so possibly the harsh winter of 1947.
 

Next we stop to take in the 1950s view down Main Street, from just past the junction with The Green.

 

Note the period car outside the shop.

 

This 2016 view shows the extension to the front of the Methodist Church.

The bay windows in the first house are no more, having been replaced with more modern flat windows.The second house is no longer a shop.

In the distant left, newer houses have replaced some of the old cottages.

 

 

 
Now looking back up Main Street towards the junction with The Green, a group of children pose for the camera (and a dog!)

Note also the public telephone box to the left.
 

Now we reach 'Joyner's Corner', the end of our journey along Main Street, near its the junction with London Road. Note that it was called 'Pet's Corner' for a while. 

This picture was taken in the 1950's. A car can just be seen in the distance at the entrance to The Green.

Also see the ''Park Drive cigarettes' sign!

 

The same scene in 2016. The former shops on the right are now houses.

The farmost cottages in the earlier photo have been demolished to make way for new houses. The nearer cottages that remain have been tidied up and rendered white.

 
   

Photos of the Co-op and surrounding buildings can be found on the Co-operative Society page.